action needed now on container deposit legislation
Australia currently wastes 8 billion containers every year – and we all know where they end up – on our roads, parks, beaches and in many cases in the ocean. It is time to implement a proven solution.
Our Environment Ministers from around Australia are meeting on August 24 and have the chance to vote YES to CDS (a national Container Deposit System).
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Send an online letter to your State Premier via www.boomerangalliance.org.au saying you want a 10c refundable deposit on all beverage containers (plastic, glass bottles and aluminum cans) to reduce litter and increase recycling. It’s possible!
Here are some ideas – every action helps.
- WRITE A LETTER! To your local MP. See our sample letters
- VISIT YOUR STATE MP with a gift of local litter you have collected on or by 10 August 2012
- Send your photographs of local litter to your local paper
- Write a letter to the Editor of your local newspaper (see our sample letters and media releases www.boomerangalliance.org.au )
- Send any photos or news of your activities to firstname.lastname@example.org or post directly onto Cash for Containers facebook page.
Remember! Cash for Containers Day of Local Action – Friday 10 August (two weeks before the critical meeting). For more info go to www.boomerangalliance.org.au