This is a full-time employment contract with a duration of 12 months with Friends of the Earth Australia, ideally commencing in mid-July. Applications close: 5:00 PM AEST, 24th Jun 2020
ABOUT TIPPING POINT
Tipping Point’s mission is to seed, scale, and support grassroots movements to help move Australia beyond the mining and burning of fossil fuels to 100% clean renewable energy. We are a national project of Friends of the Earth Australia. We support two of the largest community climate movements in Australia - the #StopAdani and #ClimateStrike movements. For more information visit: www.tippingpoint.org.au.
We believe that climate change disproportionately hurts the most marginalised people in society — including people of colour, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQI people. We believe that these communities must be centred in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalised communities.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
We’re not even half-way through 2020 yet everything is changing. Over the summer, thousands of people had their lives torn apart by fire, with most Australians impacted in some way. With the ashes still settling on this unprecedented bushfire disaster, now we are dealing with another crisis - Covid-19 - a pandemic which is impacting upon millions of people’s lives and livelihoods.
Whilst our Government rushes to save lives and the economy, and the media covers the day-to-day impacts, our opponents are using this crisis to consolidate their power. A former mining boss is heading up the Covid-19 Commission. The fossil fuel lobby is clamouring for bail-outs, tax cuts, and looser regulation to continue digging up and burning coal and gas. Tackling the climate crisis is as urgent as ever, yet it is hard to see how the apparatus of the Federal Government will treat the climate crisis with the same seriousness as they are treating Covid-19.
To overcome this, we believe it is critical to massively scale the size and power of climate justice social movements.
This is a multi-pronged role, working as part of a tight-knit team of organisers and mobilisers spread across Australia, expressly focussed on supporting community movements and grassroots leaders. The role will see you:
- Create leadership development strategies to mentor, train and coach grassroots leaders to build local power in their communities to keep coal and gas in the ground and win support for renewable energy.
- Co-create strategies with grassroots movements
- Identify and respond to moments of mass momentum and design processes to absorb new leaders from these moments into the climate movement
- Work closely with movement partners to identify and seize strategic opportunities
The best fit for this role is someone who:
- Is deeply committed to climate justice and the power of social movements
- Is an exceptional community organiser and campaign strategist with several years experience
- Is self motivated and works well under pressure with competing deadlines.
- Is an excellent project manager with a track record of managing large and complex projects
- Is always looking for opportunities to build the leadership capacity and skills of grassroots movements
- Is fantastic at working productively with diverse groups of people and partners and liaising with authorities.
- Is great at working remotely to support distributed networks of leaders and groups.
This is a full-time employment contract with a duration of 12 months, ideally commencing in mid-July. Given we are a movement-facing organisation that works with communities and volunteers, a significant amount of our work is outside of 9-5 hours however staff are expected to take TOIL to accommodate this.
This role can be based anywhere with a preference for Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane. The role will require communicating and working with other people across the country, and therefore a high volume of online communication.
This is a fixed-term employment contract with Friends of the Earth Australia at a salary of $72,280 per annum plus super and 2020/21 CPI. Extension beyond 12 months is subject to external funding.
Whilst you are here, please make a tax deductible donation. Friends of the Earth relies on donations from people like you to keep running campaigns for social and environmental justice.